[Mailman-Users] Renaming a list

Chris Nulk cnulk at scu.edu
Wed Mar 23 14:15:54 EDT 2016

On 3/22/2016 5:03 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 03/22/2016 11:02 AM, Chris Nulk wrote:
>> Below my message is a diff of my changes to clone_list.  While I try
>> testing my changes on a test system, I would appreciate it if someone
>> could take a look at my changes to ensure I am not off-base with my
>> process.
>
> I have looked at it and it looks fine to me.
>
> I will try adding it to my script and doing a bit of testing, but I
> think it will be fine.

Thanks for looking at it Mark.

I have done limited testing (4 member list with a few archived messages)
and it appears to be working.  The archives were moved and rebuilt.
When I changed the scrub_nondigest setting to Yes, the list is renamed,
archives moved, and an error message that the archives were not rebuilt.

Based on my testing, I noticed the error message for not rebuilding the
archives is a bit terse.  For my target audience it needs to be a little
more helpful.  So, I changed the lines:

        if ol.scrub_nondigest:
             abort('Scrub_nondigest is YES for %s.  WILL NOT REBUILD
ARCHIVES.' % ns.old_list)
        else:

with

         if ol.scrub_nondigest:
             abort("""ARCHIVES NOT REBUILT.

Scrub_nondigest for %s is set to Yes.  To prevent losing any scrubbed
attachments, you will need to rebuild and fix the listname links in
the archives using another method than using bin/arch.
""" % ns.old_list)
         else:

I will do a little more testing on some larger lists but it looks promising.

Thank you again Mark,
Chris