[Mailman-Users] confirm email marked as spam - reduce unique identifier length?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue May 17 03:09:52 EDT 2016

On May 15, 2016 9:47:50 PM PDT, Jim Dory <james at dorydesign.com> wrote:

 > >I believe that the subject of the confirmation email "confirm
 > >40c7fa45251ce14ecd7c26c712648332fa3b326b" is triggering the spam
 > >experts filter. Is it possible to reduce the subject line to
 > >something simpler?

That depends on your definition of "simple".  From the point of view
of the would-be subscriber, this is as simple as it gets.  Just hit
"reply", then "send", and she's done.  The token itself could be
reduced, but it's still going to be at *least* 5 or 6 characters, and
then it looks like spam to me.  I've gotten lots of spam from people
who put a 4-8 character ticket identifier in the Subject field.

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > Whoever manages the Mailman installation should set
 >
 > VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes
 >
 > In mm_cfg.py. This may or may not require MTA changes to recognize
 > '+' as a recipient delimiter.

Note: this works by putting the confirmation token in the return
address after a '+'.  So it is *your* MTA that needs to recognize '+'
as ending the mailbox.  The confirmation message sent to the person
trying to subscribe goes to their usual address, so isn't a problem.
All the necessary configuration can be done at your end.  Whether your
host will help you is up to them, of course, but most sites that
support Mailman already have that configuration.