[Mailman-Users] mailman postfix connection on debian

John Griessen john at cibolo.com
Thu May 19 23:20:45 EDT 2016

I am setting up 2.1 on debian and get no receive of a mail to the server that is not a virtual_mailbox_domain address in postfix.
For instance, a reply to a subscribe request doesn't get received or even mentioned much by the MTA logs in /var/log/mail.log,
but a email to a virtual address, not local to the server, goes fine.

There are so many uids and gids I can't figure it:

This is  ll /run/dovecot    -->

srw------- 1 root    root       0 May 20 02:26 anvil
srw------- 1 root    root       0 May 20 02:26 anvil-auth-penalty
srw------- 1 dovecot root       0 May 20 02:26 auth-client
srw------- 1 dovecot root       0 May 20 02:26 auth-login
srw------- 1 root    root       0 May 20 02:26 auth-master
-rw------- 1 root    root      32 May 20 02:18 auth-token-secret.dat
srw------- 1 vmail   root       0 May 20 02:26 auth-userdb
srw------- 1 dovecot root       0 May 20 02:26 auth-worker
srw------- 1 root    root       0 May 20 02:26 config
srw------- 1 root    root       0 May 20 02:26 dict
srw------- 1 root    root       0 May 20 02:26 director-admin
srw-rw-rw- 1 root    root       0 May 20 02:26 dns-client
srw------- 1 root    root       0 May 20 02:26 doveadm-server
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root    root      25 May 20 02:26 dovecot.conf -> /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
drwxr-xr-x 2 root    root      40 May 20 02:18 empty
srw-rw-rw- 1 root    root       0 May 20 02:26 imap-urlauth
srw------- 1 dovecot root       0 May 20 02:26 imap-urlauth-worker
srw-rw-rw- 1 root    root       0 May 20 02:26 indexer
srw------- 1 dovecot root       0 May 20 02:26 indexer-worker
srw------- 1 root    root       0 May 20 02:26 ipc

  ll /run/mailman/

rw-rw---- 1 list list 4 May 20 02:18 mailman.pid

There's no telling what postfix is running as...

I tried a simplifying test and it seems not simple enough:

I wanted to send a test email, so I could see it in the logs:
I have a list called catjuggling for testing things out.  No users in it but me, no one to bother...

$ sudo echo "test email" | /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post catjuggling
Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
wrapper script to be executed as group "daemon", but
the system's mail server executed the mail script as
group "cibolo".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
script as group "daemon", or re-run configure,
providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=cibolo'.

If I su root I can send a message, and get a reponse from mailman that it is from no one, so needs approval,
so that tests that mailmanis intalled somewhat, and postfix is the hangup.

list and vmail are no login users, so can't test this that way...

$ postconf -n
-bash: postconf: command not found
cibolo at mail1:/etc/dovecot$ sudo postconf -n
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
config_directory = /etc/postfix
inet_interfaces = all
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mydestination = cibolo.us, mail1.cibolo.us, localhost
mydomain = cibolo.us
myhostname = mail1
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
myorigin = $mydomain
readme_directory = no
recipient_delimiter = +
relayhost =
smtpd_relay_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated defer_unauth_destination
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
smtpd_tls_security_level = may
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_aliases
virtual_mailbox_domains = casaxxxxxxxxxx.com, casitaxxxxxxxxxxxx.com, etc.com
virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailboxes
virtual_transport = lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp

MTA='Postfix'
# Default domain for email addresses of newly created MLs
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'cibolo.us'
# Default host for web interface of newly created MLs
DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'mail1.cibolo.us'

Thanks,

John Griessen