[Mailman-Users] mailman postfix connection on debian

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 20 13:08:35 EDT 2016

On 05/20/2016 03:11 AM, John Griessen wrote:

> More specifically, I am replying to the confirmation message ( to
> catjuggling-request at cibolo.us)  after inviting a user to the list.
> It seems to not work -- no hint of it in the logs.

Not even a message the the sending server connected in the postfix log?

> I can send a message to a different related address, and see in the logs
> -- ( to catjuggling at cibolo.us)
> (delivered to command: /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post catjuggling)
> I can use the link to start a subscription via the web interface.
>
> /etc/aliases has these lines:
>
> # STANZA START: catjuggling
> # CREATED: Thu May 19 23:07:53 2016
> catjuggling:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post catjuggling"
> catjuggling-admin:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin catjuggling"
> catjuggling-bounces:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
> catjuggling"
> catjuggling-confirm:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm
> catjuggling"
> catjuggling-join:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join catjuggling"
> catjuggling-leave:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave catjuggling"
> catjuggling-owner:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner catjuggling"
> catjuggling-request:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request
> catjuggling"
> catjuggling-subscribe:   "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe
> catjuggling"
> catjuggling-unsubscribe: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe
> catjuggling"
> # STANZA END: catjuggling

And how did they get there? You have MTA = 'Postfix' which generates
aliases automatically in Mailman's data/aliases which is not referenced
in alias_maps in Postfix main.cf.

> Any ideas what would cause catjuggling-request: to fail where
> catjuggling: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post catjuggling"
> works?

There may be something missing in Dovecot or who knows. What is the
complete set of postfix log messages for the mail that ends up with
"(delivered to command: /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post catjuggling)"