[Mailman-Users] FWD: [dmarc-ietf] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dmarc-interoperability-15.txt> (Interoperability Issues Between DMARC and Indirect Email Flows) to Informational RFC

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat May 21 03:48:22 EDT 2016

Hi, all

This IETF work affects us all, so I'm reposting here so those with the
interest can participate.

"Indirect mail flows" includes but is not limited to mailing lists.
"DMARC" is the protocol which Yahoo! and AOL used to unsubscribe
thousands of innocent list members in April 2014.  This Internet Draft
is about to be promoted to RFC, so this is really the last chance to
get any changes made.  (You can comment on a Request for Comments, but
you'll never get one changed. :-)  For our purposes,
"interoperability" means best practices for both email providers and
mailing list operators to avoid reoccurance of that "April Fool's Joke".

If you haven't participated in IETF work before, you might want to run
your comments by us (or me personally, if you prefer) before sending
them off to the IESG.  RFC-ese is not really English. ;-)  I'll be happy
to provide translation of portions of interest on request.

My personal opinion is that the last draft I looked at (#12) was very
good, but the more eyes the better.

Reply-To set to mailman-users, but personal replies to me also
welcome.  Please don't reply-all.  Also, there is no chance that DMARC
"p=reject" itself is going away, so let's not rehash that issue.

Standards-geek-ily y'rs,