[Mailman-Users] subscribe to mailman for someone else

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Nov 16 17:40:04 EST 2016

On 11/16/2016 01:44 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:

> sorry not to have been more specific Mark, but what you say is in fact
> very close and may be what I want, I'll need to do a test. When you say
> above send a message with the command, where is the command? in the
> subject line? or body?

Either one.

Mail sent to the LISTNAME-request address is processed as follows:

If the Subject: contains a valid command or a valid command preceded by
a single 'word' such as Re:, Fwd:, etc., that command is processed.
Otherwise the Subject: is ignored.

Then, regardless of the Subject:, Mailman continues to process body
lines from the first text/plain part in the message as commands until
one of the following occurs:

1) a non-blank line does not contain a valid command or
2) an 'end' command is processed or
3) a total of DEFAULT_MAIL_COMMANDS_MAX_LINES (default = 25) including
   blank lines is seen or
4) the end of the message part is reached.

Thus, with the default DEFAULT_MAIL_COMMANDS_MAX_LINES = 25 not
overridden in mm_cfg.py, you could send up to 26 subscribe commands, one
in the Subject: and 25 in the body, in one message.

Send a 'help' command to the LISTNAME-request address for more info on
email commands.