[Mailman-Users] Personalised mails, content very depending on mail client

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 5 11:10:03 EDT 2016

On 10/05/2016 01:44 AM, Henrik Rasmussen wrote:

> According to the article paragraph "Patching Mailman to solve this problem", a user found a solution to the problem in version 2.1.5, but would Mailman 3 handle this in a better way to work around the problem with some MUAs? Would upgrading be a better option to solve this?

Our position is this patch in particular, and probably any patch, is not
robust enough for general use. Adding msg_header and msg_footer to a
MIME multipart message with possibly multiple text/plain and text/html
parts by merging the msg_header and msg_footer into existing text/plain
and text/html parts is very difficult to get right which is why we only
do it if there is only a single text/plain part to merge into.

Just as MUAs (Outlook) have difficulty determining what's the message
body and what's an attachment, we would have the same difficulty in
determining to which part(s) to add the header and footer, plus the fact
that in general, determining how to add the header and/or footer to an
HTML part with styles and multiple <div>s is not easy.

Mailman 3 is not going to be significantly different from Mailman 2.1 is
this respect.