[Mailman-Users] Message.UserNotification vs Message.OwnerNotification in Handlers/Hold.py

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 11:37:16 EDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 11:32 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:
> Jim Popovitch writes:
>
>  > I've noticed that Mailman "hold" notifications (to:list-owner@)
>  > fail DMARC (if the mailing list domain has a _dmarc RR) because of
>  > a simple code issue..... (not calling it a bug at this point)
>
> I don't see how direct mail can fail DMARC if the list's host MTA is
> correctly configured for SPF and DKIM.  Can you give example headers
> showing the problem?
>
> Steve

I provided headers to Steven offline.

The emails fail DMARC because the From: is the virtual list domain,
but the Sender is set to the site-list (often a neutral domain used
for the MTA that hosts the virtual lists).   OpenDKIM signs based on
the Sender (see: "MAILING LISTS" at
http://www.opendkim.org/opendkim-README), so the sig is NOT aligned
with From, thus failing DMARC...and getting notification emails
de-prioritized or worse.

I've discovered 4 more places that needed "adjustments", the totality
of the most recent changes are detailed here:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~jimpop/mailman/virtual-notices/revision/1379?&compare_revid=1374

-Jim P.