[Mailman-Users] Migrating Mailman to New Server (Same Domain)

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Mon Oct 24 11:45:10 EDT 2016

FWIW, I've done two complete migrations of a number of mailman (v2)
lists as I've changed servers over the past few years. A couple of
scripts I've used have worked perfectly in every case. In every
migration, the basic Mailman installation is set up and running on the
new server. Mailman versions, as long as we're talking about v2.x.x,
are a no-nevermind.

The first, which runs on the old server is called tar_list.sh, is kept
in /usr/local/sbin and is run as root:

    #!/bin/sh
    if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
    	    echo 'Usage: tar_list.sh <listname>'
    	    exit
    fi

    if [ ! -e /var/lib/mailman/lists/$1 ]; then
    	    echo "$1: No such list!"
    	    exit
    fi

    mkdir /tmp/$1
    cd /var/lib/mailman/lists/

    echo Creating $1_list.tar.gz ....
    tar -czvf $1_list.tar.gz $1
    mv $1_list.tar.gz /tmp/$1

    cd /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/

    echo Creating $1_archive.tar.gz ....
    tar -czvf $1_archive.tar.gz $1
    mv  $1_archive.tar.gz /tmp/$1

    echo Creating $1_archive_mbox.tar.gz ....
    tar -czvf $1_archive_mbox.tar.gz $1.mbox
    mv $1_archive_mbox.tar.gz /tmp/$1

    if [ -L /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/$1 ]; then
    	    touch /tmp/$1/$1_archive_is_public
    fi

The second script, on the new server, lives in ~mailman/bin and is run
as the mailman user (which, on my server, has a real, usable shell):

    #!/bin/sh
    if [ "$2" = "" ]; then
            echo 'Usage: untar_list.sh <server> <listname>'
            exit
    fi

    cd ~/tmp/
    echo "Give root password on remote system ..."
    scp root@$1:/tmp/$2/* .
    cd /var/lib/mailman/lists/

    echo ""
    echo "Creating list $2 ..."
    tar -xzvpf ~/tmp/$2_list.tar.gz

    cd /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/

    echo ""
    echo "Creating archive for $2 ..."
    tar --same-owner -xzvpf ~/tmp/$2_archive.tar.gz

    echo "Creating archive mbox for $1 ..."
    tar --same-owner -xzvpf ~/tmp/$2_archive_mbox.tar.gz

    if [ -e ~/tmp/$2_archive_is_public ]; then
    	    ln -s /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/$2 /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/$2
    fi

    echo""
    echo "If no errors, delete files in ~/tmp and delete /tmp/$2 directory on remote system"

This does require (and this may be a show-stopper for some) that the
mailman user on the new system be able to ssh to the old server as
root. I'm sure there's an easy workaround for this, but since I've
always has full root access to my servers and run connections between
servers via encrypted VPNs, it's been simply a matter of modifying the
sshd_config file to allow this.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The first casualty when
FMP Computer Services |         war comes is truth."