[Mailman-Users] getting lots of approval requests for spammers

Jim Dory james at dorydesign.com
Thu Oct 27 11:24:31 EDT 2016

I'm getting a ton of spam posting attempts to our subscriber only email
list - in the order of about 100 to 150 per day and growing. As I need to
keep a look out for actual member requests (sometimes a member wants to
unsubscribe or is having some problem - a non member wants to subscribe) I
have to look through these approval headers to make sure it isn't a local
person wanting something. So it becomes a pain. Most spammers use obvious
emails so I can mass delete them (harder on my phone when managing the
mail) but I'm wondering if there is something I can do to stem the flow.

I'm with Hawkhost on a VPS plan (virtual private server) so I have a bit of
control - but don't know much about what to do - if there are access/deny
lists I can somehow use. I did enable some spam controls but it didn't seem
to do anything. It would have to a server level deny list I assume like
iptables or something to reject known spammers at least, or whole domains
like from foreign companies (.it, .br, .ch , etc) and perhaps some spoofing
going on from the likes of domains such as hilton.k12.ny.us
<cortez_josephine at hilton.k12.ny.us>.

thx, Jim