[Mailman-Users] Reply Bodies as Attachments

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 30 15:21:36 EDT 2016

On 10/30/2016 09:50 AM, rex at rexgoode.com wrote:
> I'm having the same problem on all of my lists, which most people read
> on their Android or IOS devices.

Mobile MUAs are often limited in rendering anything but the simplest
MIME structured messages.

> When I send something out, if anyone replies, it is delivered with my
> defined header and footer, but the body is an attachment which can't be
> read. It says, "No Application Available for This Content".

See <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030707>.

The issue is the message delivered from Mailman is structured like this:

multipart/mixed
    text/plain
        (msg_header)
    message/rfc822
        (the original message with it's own MIME structure)
    text/plain
        (msg_footer)

and the mobile MUAs are saying they don't know how to render a
message/rfc822 part. Actually, the appropriate application is the MUA
itself and it may be possible for users to configure their devices so
the MUA knows that. It should be shocking that the MUAs don't get that,
but by now I expect it.

Aside: For Android I recommend K9 Mail by K9 Dog Walkers available from
the Play Store or on GitHub at <https://github.com/k9mail/k-9>.

The above referenced article suggests solutions. If you don't need HTML
or non-text attachments on your list, I suggest the following content
filtering settings:

filter_content: Yes
pass_mime_types:
    multipart
    message/rfc822
    text/plain
    text/html
collapse_alternatives: Yes
convert_html_to_plaintext: Yes

which will ensure your messages are plain text only and allow adding
msg_header and msg_footer to the body and not as separate MIME parts.