[Mailman-Users] Digest formatting--clickable TOC?

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Tue Sep 6 09:24:54 EDT 2016

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016, Matt Morgan wrote:

> Now that I understand them, I think I'll start using MIME digests them for
> myself when I can. And I like offering the option. The question is more,
> what would I use as the default? And I think honestly that putting everyone
> on MIME digests would substantially decrease readership on this list.

On the list I manage I do not use digests as default, although I recommend
them. Digests have one advantage which is also a disadvantage under
certain situations.

- Digests are sent with all mails packed together either at a predefined
   time (usually once per day at midday) OR when they exceeed a given size

- ... so you will NOT receive messages in real time

- this can be an advantage on lists with a large traffic and/or a large
   amount of "noise" (uninteresting messages). I do advise using digests
   for the internal discussion list of our nationwide organization (several
   hundred members). Reading messages once per day cools down the
   discussion. It also diminishes the disturbance of receiving a lot of
   mail asking for attention (I do use digests for "professional
   wide-spectrum" lists, like this one where I can discard a fraction of
   messages as not interesting or not concerning me, usually just by
   scanning through the subjects)

- this is a disadvantage for professional narrow-spectrum lists where
   quick reply is required. In this case I do avoid digests so that I
   can receive messages in real time (mailman is still good in providing
   a common reference archive for all members). Usually these lists
   have few members, and act orderly (no noise, no flames).