[Mailman-Users] Unable to post to list - Command died with status 2

Jewel Brueggeman-Makda jewel.brueggeman-makda at washburn.edu
Tue Sep 13 13:11:05 EDT 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Sapiro [mailto:mark at msapiro.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 11:39 AM
To: Jewel Brueggeman-Makda <jewel.brueggeman-makda at washburn.edu>; mailman-users at python.org
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Unable to post to list - Command died with status 2

On 09/13/2016 09:02 AM, Jewel Brueggeman-Makda wrote:
> 	Yes, I am running Postfix. The /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases file showed the owner as root and group as mailman.
> 	I ran: chown mailman:mailman aliases and also: chmod g+w
> 	This so far didn't resolve the issue.

It is the aliases.db file that MUST be owned (not just group) by 'mailman'. See the DELIVERY RIGHTS section in 'man local'
I changed the owner to mailman and reloaded postfix:
chown mailman:mailman /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases*
chmod g+w /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases*
postfix reload

I continue to get the same Group Mismatch error:

<mailman at box.washlaw.edu>: Command died with status 2:
    "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman". Command output: Group
    mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as
    group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as
    group "nobody".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group
    "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
    `--with-mail-gid=nobody'.