[Mailman-Users] subscribe users by email from list admin?

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 10:32:51 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>
>> On 09/14/2016 11:09 AM, Matt Morgan wrote:
>> > Is there any way, in mailman, to subscribe a user (or users) via an
>> email
>> > from an email address other than the one being signed up?
>>

>> If you send a 'help' command (Subject: or first body line) to
>> LIST-request at ... the response will include
>>
>> >     subscribe [password] [digest|nodigest] [address=<address>]
>> >         Subscribe to this mailing list.  Your password must be given to
>> >         unsubscribe or change your options, but if you omit the
>> password, one
>> >         will be generated for you.  You may be periodically reminded of
>> your
>> >         password.
>> >
>> >         The next argument may be either: `nodigest' or `digest' (no
>> quotes!).
>> >         If you wish to subscribe an address other than the address you
>> sent
>> >         this request from, you may specify `address=<address>' (no
>> brackets
>> >         around the email address, and no quotes!)
>>

> Apologies: I saw that help text and somehow skipped right over the
> relevant part. Argh.

At risk of beating a dead horse: now I understand actually I didn't see
that text. I read the users and admin guides in the online docs, and this
mechanism isn't mentioned. I think it would be worth putting it in the
admin guide--some kind of section devoted to programatically subscribing &
unsubscribing people.