[Mailman-Users] Unsubscriptions after DMARC fix

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Apr 3 15:40:38 EDT 2017

On 04/03/2017 10:28 AM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

> Bounce processing for the list is set to send 10 probe messages at 3
> day intervals, and last night all of these addresses were unsubscribed.
> It seems that probe messages to these addresses, which I believe come
> from the list server's mailman address, were also bouncing. I would
> assume that messages which come directly from our server and are not
> reflected through a redirection or mailing list wouldn't be subject to
> rejection based on DMARC policy.

They aren't "probe" messages in the sense of Mailman's

VERP_PROBES = Yes

because VERP_PROBES don't bounce for DMARC (see item 5 at
<https://wiki.list.org/x/17891458>, and they are only involved in
initially disabling delivery by bounce.

The issue is the user's delivery was disabled by bounce a month ago. At
that point further bounces don't matter. The process is controlled by
cron/disabled which sends a total of bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings
warning messages to the users at intervals of
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval.

If the user doesn't act on one of those warnings and re-enable delivery
before the number is exhausted, the user will be unsubscribed.

So basically, the users that were unsubscribed ignored the fact that
they weren't receiving list mail and ignored 10 messages informing them
their delivery was disabled and telling them how to re-enable it. Maybe
the list is better off without them?