[Mailman-Users] externally stored attachments and bin/arch

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 21 11:14:11 EDT 2017

Putting back on list.

On 04/21/2017 12:19 AM, giannis karageorgiou wrote:
> dear Mr Sapiro and all team,
>
> yes, it is "scrub_nondigest=Yes", did use "arch --wipe" and
> version is 2.1.23.
>
> what is different from your description, is that the "attachments"
> is a subdir of LISTNAME, not of LISTNAME.mbox (only the
> single mailbox file is in the LISTNAME.mbox dir), so If I
> did a cautionary "rm -fr LISTNAME/*" before running arch,
> (I don't really remember), it could explain loosing the
> attachments subdir.

If scrub_nondigest is Yes, bin/arch --wipe will move
archives/private/LISTNAME/attachments/ to
archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/attachments/ so it will not be lost and
move it back after it removes archives/private/LISTNAME/*, but of course
if you removed it first by doing "rm -fr LISTNAME/*", it was gone and
there was nothing to move.

Note that doing "rm -fr LISTNAME/*" is not only a mistake in this case,
it is unnecessary in general because that's what --wipe does.