[Mailman-Users] lacking notifications when mails are held for moderation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 13 11:12:11 EST 2017

On 02/13/2017 06:57 AM, Matt Morgan wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 4:16 AM, Christina Endemann <c.endemann at fsc.org>
> wrote:
>
>> At least I don't have easy access to the logs, so I tested the
>> listname-owner at ... address first, and in fact the mails could not be
>> delivered.
>> I got some "Diagnostic information for administrators" (Remote Server
>> returned '550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found') and the advice
>> to contact my helpdesk.  So, does this e-mail address not exist, and our
>> ITs have to set up this e-mail address first?
>>

> That's what it sounds like, yes.
>
> But forgive me--just to be clear, did you literally type "listname-owner"
> or did you replace "listname" with the name of the list(s)?

Assuming the answer to Matt's question is that you did send to the
actual listname -owner address, the answer is your Mailman installation
is missing some pieces. Every Mailman list has 10 addresses associated
with it. They are the list's name @ the list's domain and 9 more with
-admin, -bounces, -confirm, -join, -leave, -owner, -request, -subscribe
and -unsubscribe appended to the listname. How mail to these addresses
is actually delivered depends on the particular MTA. Some configurations
use aliases such as the following example for the 'mailman' list on my
development server to deliver to mailman, but there are other methods.

# STANZA START: mailman
# CREATED: Wed Dec 28 19:56:24 2016
mailman:             "|/var/MM/21/mail/mailman post mailman"
mailman-admin:       "|/var/MM/21/mail/mailman admin mailman"
mailman-bounces:     "|/var/MM/21/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
mailman-confirm:     "|/var/MM/21/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
mailman-join:        "|/var/MM/21/mail/mailman join mailman"
mailman-leave:       "|/var/MM/21/mail/mailman leave mailman"
mailman-owner:       "|/var/MM/21/mail/mailman owner mailman"
mailman-request:     "|/var/MM/21/mail/mailman request mailman"
mailman-subscribe:   "|/var/MM/21/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
mailman-unsubscribe: "|/var/MM/21/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman"
# STANZA END: mailman

Whoever is responsible for the Mailman installation on the server needs
to fix this.