[Mailman-Users] can I use text box for real names for a different purpose

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 16 12:02:52 EST 2017

On 02/16/2017 02:47 AM, Christina Endemann wrote:

> The users of our mailing list don't use their personal accounts for the mailing list, and don't work with commands, like requesting the list of members.
> In that case, can I use the text field in the membership list which is provided for real names for a different purpose?

You can use that field for anything you want. The biggest potential
downside I see is when DMARC mitigation is applied to a message. If the
original post is

From: John Doe <jdoe at example.com>

the DMARC mitigated message will be

From: John Doe via list <list at example.com>

However, if the original is

From: jdoe at example.com

without a display name, the DMARC mitigated message will be

From: xxx via list <list at example.com>

where xxx is the contents of that field. A similar situation occurs when
a list is fully personalized so each post is addressed To: the
recipient. In that case the post sent to jdoe at example.com will be addressed

To: xxx <jdoe at example.com>

where xxx is again the contents of that field.