[Mailman-Users] Fwd: Amway Order Confirmation [#1095286]

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 17 18:07:39 EST 2017

On 02/17/2017 01:32 PM, Dominik Hoffmann wrote:
> I get these messages from a particular sender who must have set his message to urgent. I have no influence over how these messages are sent. What must I do to my Mailman list, so the messages go through as originally sent and not in the form shown below?

Mailman has a feature for 'urgent' messages. If an incoming message has an

Urgent: xxx

header where xxx is one of the list admin, moderator or poster
passwords, the message is sent immediately to all list members
regardless of regular/digest or delivery enabled/disabled status

If the password doesn't match one of the three list passwords, the
message is rejected rather than accepted as a normal message so that the
sender knows it wasn't delivered as an urgent message.

If you can't prevent the message from being posted with an Urgent:
header, you can change Mailman's behavior from reject to accept as normal.

To do this, you need to patch Mailman/Handlers/CalcRecips.py. Around
line 58 there is a comment:

>     # Support for urgent messages, which bypasses digests and disabled
>     # delivery and forces an immediate delivery to all members Right Now.  We
>     # are specifically /not/ allowing the site admins password to work here
>     # because we want to discourage the practice of sending the site admin
>     # password through email in the clear. (see also Approve.py)

Remove that comment and the following 21 lines that end with:

>             text = _("""\
> Your urgent message to the %(realname)s mailing list was not authorized for
> delivery.  The original message as received by Mailman is attached.
> """)
>             raise Errors.RejectMessage, Utils.wrap(text)

> As it is, Mailman does not attach the original message.

I suspect the attachment of the original message is lost when the user
forwards the reject to you because it certainly should be attached to
the rejection notice.