[Mailman-Users] Fwd: Warming IP Addresses -- Gradually Increasing Email Volume

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 22 13:07:28 EST 2017

The concerns Greg has are real. For example, a little over a year ago,
the server mail.python.org that hosts over 300 @python.org lists
(including this one) suffered a fatal hardware error on a Friday. With
much scrambling, we were able to get everything up by the next Monday on
a new server in the cloud, but with a different IP.

It was several weeks before we were able to set up feedback loops and
such with the various services such as AOL, Gmail, etc., which knew our
prior IP and get them to accept mail from the new IP without bounces,
greylisting, etc. One thing we did observe is if possible, when the ISP
has an IPv6 MX, make sure your outging MTA can use it as at least some
of the ISPs are more lenient about what they accept via IPv6.

Also, see <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030690> about signing up for
feedback loop reporting with the various ISPs. If you can do this in
advance for the new IP, this will help.