[Mailman-Users] Web interface stopped working after ubuntu update

Nick Wyman nwyman at viablecomputing.com
Tue Mar 28 23:28:49 EDT 2017

Hello,

I have an Ubuntu 14.04 server running apache2.4 and mailman.  This server has been running a few lists with no problems for over a year.  After updating some Ubuntu packages for security maintenance (unfortunately I don't know all that changed, but apache2 and mailman were unaltered), the web interface, e.g. mailman/listinfo now displays:

Mailman CGI error!!!

The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being stored in your syslog:
Operation not permitted

The apache2 config files are unchanged:

I have checked that the vhost for this domain is running with uid and gid www-data.
Verified that I can run mailman/listinfo from the shell as www-data and receive a proper HTML response.

I enabled apache2 LogLevel trace3 and see that the request is getting through to mailman/listinfo, but no other info is logged.

No meaningful info is logged to syslog or mailman/logs.

It seems that something is failing inside the listinfo executable causing it to return error to the driver leading to the above response.  Is it possible to get more logging info from this process?   Perhaps a Python update has caused a script malfunction?

Thanks in advance for your help.