[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2 and 3

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 30 19:37:41 EDT 2017

On 03/30/2017 07:13 PM, Carl Zwanzig wrote:
>>   Does 3 yet run on anything other than Linux?  The last time I looked at
>> it, it looked to be pretty much Linux-only.  (My company's Solaris-based
>> mail servers aren't going away anytime soon.)
>
> Unless v3 is different from v2 in this regard, mailman doesn't have to
> run in the same OS instance as the MTA. Put mailman3 on a linux (or bsd)
> box and let the existing MTAs do their thing. You will have to deal with
> routing the mailman aliases to the mailman system, but that shouldn't be
> difficult.

   We could set that up here, but rather than set up another VM running
a different OS just to support Mailman 3 isn't going to happen.  We'll
stick with 2.

> OTOH, node.js is available for solaris x86 (32 & 64 bit) on the
> nodejs.org site. If you're still running sparc servers.... aren't they
> getting a bit long in the tooth?

   Just because there were SPARC servers in 1995 doesn't mean ALL SPARC
servers are from 1995, CZ...these aren't the ones we ran at Digex. ;)

   Our T3s and T4s are reasonably new and screaming fast.  They'll get
replaced when they're truly obsolete, rather than "salesman obsolete".
That likely means ARM. (does Node.js run on ARM?)

> (Says the person still running his backup DNS on a Pentium P90 :).)

   Hey, if it serves the requests..

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ