[Mailman-Users] Emergency Moderation Problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 25 11:06:41 EDT 2017

On 5/25/17 7:50 AM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 7:30 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>>
>> It turns out there was a bug in the new member_verbosity_threshold
>> feature such that if the threshold was set to 1, every post would be
>> held and set the members mod flag. The bug report is at
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1693366> and the fix is at
>> <http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/revision/1704>.
>
> Not trying to nitpick, but if the threshold was set to 1 every post
> should result in moderation according to the descriptive text for that
> feature:
>
>    "If a member posts this many times, within a period of time the
> member is automatically moderated."

I agree that that statement is clear and with my "fix" is not strictly
true any more. However, the summary statement says "Ceiling on
acceptable number of member posts, per interval, before automatic
moderation." implies that the threshold is the maximum number accepted
before moderation, so it's ambiguous.

I considered changing the detail description, but didn't for i18n reasons.

I do think that no one really want's the prior behavior with threshold = 1.

> Who writes crap like that anyways?   :-)

Could his initials be JP ;-)