[Mailman-Users] New list's SMTP failures

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Nov 1 14:53:37 EDT 2017

On 11/01/2017 11:34 AM, Nick Wyman wrote:
> Well, I was hopeful, but the owner and hostname config for the mailman list are valid.

I was hopeful too :(

> Can you tell me how mail sent to mailman at mydomain.com should be processed?  Is this an address which must be functional for receiving incoming email?

Mail to mailman at mydomain.com should be processed as a post to the
'mailman' list. How it is handled depends on list configuration. There
is a suggested config for the list in Mailman's data/ directory, but I
don't recommend that. In particular, I recommend that the members of the
list and the owners of the list be the mailman site admin(s) and the
following specific settings.

Privacy options... -> Subscription rules
  advertised = No
  subscribe_policy = Require approval
  unsubscribe_policy = No
  private_roster = List admin only
Privacy options... -> Sender filters
  dmarc_moderation_action = Munge From
  dmarc_quarantine_moderation_action = Yes
  generic_nonmember_action = Accept

The reason for accepting messages from nonmembers is this address is
exposed on listinfo and admin overview pages as a "help" address.