[Mailman-Users] bulk subscribe 7K users

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Mon Oct 2 11:47:00 EDT 2017

Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> On 2017-10-01 22:23, Carl Zwanzig wrote:
> > On 9/29/2017 11:34 AM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> >> (mailman 2.1.12 on centos 6.9)
> >
> > I don't think that Mark mentioned it, but 2.1.12 is -painfully- old (as
> > is centos 6.9) and centos packages often lag way behind the
> > corresponding source versions.
> >
> > If you need to stick with 6.9, I would consider ditching the centos
> > package and installing the current mailman from source. Otherwise, can
> > you move to a more modern Linux and more recent mailman?
>
> Mailman's been been trouble- and maintenance-free for us since we
> switched from whatever-that-perl-thing-was-called all those years ago,
> and it never occurred to me it'd something as silly as abort the running
> op because my browser timed out.

Though the consequences of timeout were unfortunate, & Mailman would
benefit from patching, I wouldn't blame Mailman, as you first wrote:

> a few days ago I made a mistake (?) of uploading a list of ~7000
> addresses into the "bulk subscribe" box.

Just delete the question mark: Yes it Was a silly mistake !

> Now that I know, I'll consider
> "upgrading" -- to the university-run lyris: I might as well outsource
> the whole thing.

Better adopt the normal procedure for free source projects:
Write & submit patches to project, to fix your problem.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey, Computer Consultant, BSD Linux Unix Systems Engineer, Munich
 Reply below, Prefix '> '. Plain text, No .doc, base64, HTML, quoted-printable.