[Mailman-Users] bulk subscribe 7K users

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 2 14:10:06 EDT 2017

On 10/02/2017 07:58 AM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

> OK, thanks. Now I get to draft 3,500 apologies and then resubscribe
> everyone except the couple of people who replied with "please stop".

If you use Mailman's mass subscribe (with smaller chunks, say 1000) you
can add the apology to the new welcome message.

> PS there is nothing except postfix, spamd, mailman, and apache serving
> mailman's interface running on this server. It' running at load avg of
> 0.0 on 24 cores in 128GB of RAM. AFAICT the only reason for the software
> to croak on the list that size is its own coding.

You need to look in Mailman's 'smtp' log to see how much time is being
taken to deliver to postfix. One big killer in delivery from Mailman to
Postfix is recipient address validation at smtpd time. I.e., you don't
want reject_unknown_recipient_domain in smtpd_recipient_restrictions.
Also, you don't need spamd scanning of Mailman's outbound mail as list
posts will have been scanned on input.

Whatever the reason, you won't be able to run a viable list if it takes
days to deliver 3500 messages. Even an hour would be excessive.