[Mailman-Users] Django

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Oct 3 10:06:57 EDT 2017

On Oct 3, 2017, at 07:41, Ruben Safir <mrbrklyn at panix.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure why you decided to add Django as a dependency of Mailman
> but it is a losey idea to add an additional entire operational
> development platform in order to just get a mailing list up and running.

You must be talking about Mailman 3, where the web ui and archiver are implemented as Django applications.

Please note that neither Postorius (web ui) nor HyperKitty (archiver) are *required* components so if you don’t like them, you don’t need to deploy them.  Core is the only required piece and if you’re comfortable to write your own clients against Core’s REST API, you can do so using whatever technology you want, since it’s just HTTP+JSON.  You can augment the functionality currently available via REST with shell access.

Cheers,
-Barry