[Mailman-Users] cause of bounces

paul at tokyoprogressive.org paul at tokyoprogressive.org
Tue Oct 10 02:56:02 EDT 2017

Hi and hope the answer(s) to my question are relatively simple. On one of two lists I manage, some people are getting deleted due to too many bounces.  And the bounces seem to be related to their mail provider not allowing the messages.   As far as I can tell, the main culprits are gmail, yahoo, and hotmail.

Of course, those people blame Mailman.  From what i have read, it is not necessarily that. But complicating things is that people were complaining that the default REPLY to SENDER was not appropriate for a discussion list, so I just switched it over to REPLY TO GROUP. I do not THINK that is the reason for the trouble, but here in the space of a few minutes are some of the messages I have gotten with my questions in caps.

PROBLEM ONE

UNABLE TO SEND? RECEIVE?

a at yahoo.com <mailto:a at yahoo.com>
host mta7.am0.yahoodns.net <http://mta7.am0.yahoodns.net/> [66.196.118.37]
   SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
   554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons.  See https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN7253.html <https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN7253.html>

SEEMS TO BE YAHOO DOE SNOT LIKE MAILMAN AND ALSO SHE CANNOT ADD MAILMAN TO A WHITE LIST (THEY DO NOT HAVE).—>

IS IT POSSIBLE SHE IS USING A MAIL CLENT THAT DOES NOT SEND CORRECTLY? OR IS THIS THE YAHOO INTERACE?

IS THIS HER MESSAGE BEING SENT OR HER MAIL PROGRAM NOT ACCEPTING MESSAGES?

RELATED TO THIS:

Some people are getting unsubscribed as a result: