[Mailman-Users] Wish list: bounce notifications

Christian F Buser luscheina at yahoo.de
Wed Oct 11 13:29:45 EDT 2017

Hello Jordan Brown. On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 07:46:57 -0700, you wrote:
> My mailing list is hosted on a low-cost service with shared servers and
> so a couple of times a year some other customer gets them onto a spam
> blacklist and mail starts bouncing.  I need to know about those
> situations ASAP so that I can prod the provider into fixing the problem
> and requesting delisting, but Mailman doesn't seem to have a way to tell
> me when it gets a bounce... only when it's gotten several bounces and
> disabled a membership.  Since I don't want to wait for several bounces,
> I have it set on a hair trigger; it disables people on the first bounce
> and so I immediately get a notification.  That works, kind of, but it
> means that I have an extra re-enable step to repair the damage and that
> if I somehow drop a notification on the floor I can leave somebody disabled.
>
> What I'd like would be a way to ask Mailman to notify me on *every*
> bounce, without disabling the user.

I think the last 4 settings in the cPanel installation "Bounce processing Section" should all be set to YES

Should Mailman send you, the list owner, any bounce messages that failed to be detected by the bounce processor? Yes is recommended.
(Details for bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner)

Should Mailman notify you, the list owner, when bounces cause a member's bounce score to be incremented?
(Details for bounce_notify_owner_on_bounce_increment)

Should Mailman notify you, the list owner, when bounces cause a member's subscription to be disabled?
(Details for bounce_notify_owner_on_disable)

Should Mailman notify you, the list owner, when bounces cause a member to be unsubscribed?
(Details for bounce_notify_owner_on_removal)

Depending on the possibilities your provider offers, I would imagine that it could be possible that you receive a copy of the bounce messages into your personal mailbox.

--
Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
Hilfe fuer Strassenkinder in Ghana: http://www.chance-for-children.org