[Mailman-Users] cause of bounces

mailbox.org tokyoprogressive at mailbox.org
Wed Oct 11 06:31:00 EDT 2017

Let me repost that. Somehow my signature appeared mid post and made it look like that was my entire message. I should not post from my phone. Easier to edit at the computer as I am now.

Thanks, Mark and Stephen, Anyway, to confirm my  version is  2.1.23

It seems that the names that both of you, Mark and Stephen, are referring to the same functions with slightly different names because of the version?

I want to make sure that I don’t make the wrong setting.

Mark mentioned  list admin UI on the Privacy
> options... -> Sender filters page set
>
> dmarc_moderation_action = Munge From
> dmarc_quarantine_moderation_action = Yes

> and if it exists

> dmarc_none_moderation_action = No

WELL I HAVE ONE THAT SAYS
Shall the above dmarc_moderation_action apply to messages From: domains with DMARC p=quarantine as well as p=reject
and
Shall the above dmarc_moderation_action apply to messages From: domains with DMARC p=none as well as p=quarantine and p=reject

Are these the same, and is that a YES and NO?

On the other hand Stephen said:

> Note that the relevant option name has changed in recent Mailman; it
> is now Privacy Options -> Sender Filters -> DMARC Moderation Action.
> You almost certainly want that set to "Munge From", and the following
> option DMARC Quarantine Moderation Action set to "Yes".  (Note that
> "quarantine" is a setting on the mail sender's side; Mailman neither
> knows nor cares about Gmail's quarantine policy.)

and
> If subscribers complain that Yahoo! and Hotmail users' mail now comes
> "From: LIST on behalf of USER (EMAIL) <LIST at YOURDOMAIN.TLD>" but
> others come "From: USER <EMAIL>", you may also want to set the third
> option DMARC None Moderation Action to "Yes”.

OK, there are three:
Action to take when anyone posts to the list from a domain with a DMARC Reject/Quarantine Policy.   MUNGE FROM
Shall the above dmarc_moderation_action apply to messages From: domains with DMARC p=quarantine as well as p=reject  YES?
Shall the above dmarc_moderation_action apply to messages From: domains with DMARC p=none as well as p=quarantine and p=rejectn  NO??

Have I got the gist of what you both are saying? Are these the agreed upon settings?

Finally, I am understanding (hopefully correctly) that  Yahoo and Hotmail are the trouble makers. And it especially makes trouble for the others (AOL and GMAIL) Good reason to suggest at least my YAHOO and HOTMAIL users switch to another provider.  I found the free and secure provider disroot that offers a large amount of space.  Maybe I will suggest that one.

Thanks,

Paul