[Mailman-Users] cause of bounces

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 17 13:45:05 EDT 2017

On 10/17/2017 11:10 AM, Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users wrote:

>  - I *STRONGLY* feel that mailing lists / forwarders / etc are email
> endpoints.  Many of them generate new messages with content based on the
> incoming content.  -  Thus it is perfectly acceptable to do all of the
> above /because/ it is a /new/ and /different/ message.

+1

> Sure, /someone's/ server sent a message to Mike, possibly claiming to be
> from me.  But it was *NOT* /from/ me or my server.  Thus, the message is
> bogus and /should/ be treated as such.

If these actually exist, my spamassassin has been delivering to
/dev/null for quite some time now. My impression is they largely died
off, possibly thanks to adoption of SPF.

Now it is much easier and cheaper to send spam from botnets of perfectly
legitimate pwn3d peecees. Or to anonymously register a perfectly valid
domain (e.g. tnеtсоnsulting.net -- there's 3 "language-specific script"
chars in there), add all the DMARC embellishments, and send perfectly
compliant spam as gtaylor from there.

For bonus points, pay with stolen credit card number and have your spam
campaign all done by the time visa fraud department calls you domain
registar.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin