[Mailman-Users] cause of bounces

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 17 16:38:40 EDT 2017

On 10/17/2017 09:10 AM, Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users wrote:

> I know that I am not personally sending this message to anyone other
> than the single address that is the mailman-users mailing list.  -  The
> mailman-users mailing list is what is sending message to all the
> subscribers, *NOT* me.

That is quite true, but in this example, the mailing list is the
'sender' of the message I receive. It is not the 'author' of the
message. You are still the 'author'. RFC 5322, sec 3.6.2 and
predecessors are clear:

   The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
   that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible
   for the writing of the message.  The "Sender:" field specifies the
   mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the
   message.