[Mailman-Users] cause of bounces

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Oct 17 20:09:39 EDT 2017

On 10/17/2017 06:00 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> I've a "tactical foliage green" kufiah, best five bucks I ever spent on
> an article of clothing.

I like it.

> The point was that SPF will flag messages with ineptly spoofed From
> addresses, and I don't seem to see any of those anymore.

;-)

> As for DKIM, say you proved that the message was altered after the
> postmaster at yourdomain was done with it. Now what? Depending on how you
> look at it, the standard says either
> - now pretend you don't know if it was altered (in your interpretation:
> "maliciously") or not, or
> - (in Mark's version) assume anything not signed is malicious and invalid.
> I strongly dislike either alternative.

I personally work under the assumption that:

If DKIM signature validates, then I consider the message good.

If DKIM signature fails, then there is something wrong with the message,
and treat it suspiciously.  Read:  I increment the spam score.  (If the
spam score is high enough I reject the message at SMTP time.)

If there is no DKIM signature, I continue processing normally.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die