[Mailman-Users] cause of bounces

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 20 01:55:38 EDT 2017

On 10/19/2017 09:14 PM, Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users wrote:

> RFC 6377 - DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) and Mailing Lists,
> disagrees with you.  (RFC 6377 is also currently known as BCP 167.)

I am too tired at the moment to respond to your posts more completely. I
may do so tomorrow. But I suggest that if you are going to quote RFCs
that you understand the differences between Best Current Practice and
Standards Track categories.

Also, I don't disagree that there are issues between DKIM, DMARC and
Mailing Lists that make seamless integration of these impossible without
changing long standing norms and expectations for Mailing Lists. I also
think Mailman (both 2.1 and 3) give you tools to do pretty much whatever
you want in this vein except for changing the Message-ID: of the
original post. Note that one of the biggest reasons for that is if the
list copy has a different Message-ID: and some people receive and reply
to a list copy and some receive a direct To: or Cc: and reply to that
and people use MUAs that produce threaded views based on Message-ID:,

Finally, I think all we disagree on (as Steve implied in a post a day or
two ago) is very arcane, small technical details, and while we may never
come to agreement on these, I think we do agree that Mailman can operate
in this environment in ways we think are satisfactory.