[Mailman-Users] List adds information to sender's name

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 19 22:49:52 EDT 2017

On 09/19/2017 01:28 PM, Christian F Buser via Mailman-Users wrote:

> And, additionally: why does my original question have "via Mailman-Users" appended, while my reply (using the same mail app and the same settings) does not?

What reply? I see only
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2017-September/082467.html>
and
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2017-September/082469.html>
(the message containing the above) in the list archives.

This occurs because you are posting From: the yahoo.de domain and
yahoo.de publishes a DMARC policy of 'reject' and this list has
dmarc_moderation_action = Mung From. (See
<https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC> and perhaps
<https://wiki.list.org/x/17891458>)

> And why, when I reply to a message on this list, is the reply only going to the author of the message and not to the list? Of course, this may be a setting of the Mailman-Users list, but I do not understand why anyone should do it this way...

It is the way this list is set. If your MUA doesn't offer a 'reply list'
action, use 'reply all'. For some of the reasoning behind this, see the
papers linked from <http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/listreplyto.html>,
and please don't start yet another thread on this religious war.