[Mailman-Users] Correct Mailman setup (was: List adds information to sender's name)

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Sat Sep 23 11:44:41 EDT 2017

> At Fri, 22 Sep 2017 17:57:36 +0200 luscheina at yahoo.de wrote:

>> All lists are more or less working, but every now and then some people
>> complain about something. The most annoying thing is that messages are
>> processed but then queued for up to one hour before they go out.

I think you mean the message for one user is delayed and the message
for another is not.

This could happen when sending to gmail servers for recipients in more
than one domain. The gmail server will accept for only one domain at a
time and temp fail the other recipients. If your mail transport
re-tries every 30 minutes, you will have some sent at once, some
delayed for 30 minutes, and maybe even some more delayed for multiples
of 30 minutes. Access to the maillog would totally clarify whether
this is the answer, but I take it you can't see that.

You could have Mailman send to 1 recipient per message --which is what
Gmail does!-- but it is so inefficient that it makes me cringe and I
have not chosen to implement that yet on our systems.

--
Joseph Brennan
Columbia University