[Mailman-Users] Bug in Mailman version 2.1.25

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 09:12:44 EDT 2018

On 14 April 2018 at 15:33, MPN Kazishe <mpn at icabs.co.zw> wrote:

> [...]

Hi Kazishe,

If your list has archives, you can re-use them, I believe. The fact that
the config file is corrupt should not lead you to blow away the list and
create it afresh.
You can use another list as a template to create your corrupted list, I
believe. You could lose the members, yes, but they will re-subscribe.

Here is what I would do:

1. Export a working list configuration
(a) /usr/local/mailman/bin/config_list -o working_listname >
/tmp/listname.bak
(b) vi /tmp/listname.bak and change the settings to match the name of the
corrupted list. This is a text file, with comments explaining what is what
:-)

2. Make a backup of the archives of the corrupted list for restore later
(a) cd /usr/local/mailman/archives/private
      tar czf /tmp/corrupted_listname_private.tgz listname listname.mbox

3. Remove the corrupt list, recreate it, import configuration, restore the
archives
(a)  /usr/local/mailman/bin/rmlist -a corrupt_listname  # Blow it away
(b)  /usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist corrupt_listname   # Recreate it
(c)  /usr/local/mailman/bin/config_list -i /tmp/listname.bak # Import the
configuration
(d)   cd /usr/local/mailman/archives/private && tar yxvf
/tmp/corrupted_listname_private.tgz
# Restore the archives

4. Fix the permissions
/usr/local/mailman/bin/check_perms -f
Repeat this again just to be sure the permissions are fixed

I hope I haven't forgotten a step, but that should give you a working list
in a short time. Fix any subsequent errors.

ASSUMPTION: Mailman on FreeBSD is installed in /usr/local/mailman/

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,