[Mailman-Users] gid problem upgrading mailman under opensuse leap 42

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Tue Aug 28 06:03:52 EDT 2018

I used to have on my machine a "personal" mailman installation managing a
few small lists (mailman 2.1.14, opensuse 11, MTA=sendmail).

I am now in the process of moving to a new machine with opensuse leap 42
(and mailman 2.1.26 bundled with the distro. MTA is still sendmail).

I would like to share my arrangement, in particular the way I overcame the
error execing script "wanted gid 67 got gid 2".

The solution is not yet in production (the new machine shall replace the
old machine and assume its hostname, so far it THINKS to have the old
hostname via /etc/hosts but the DNS still says to the world the old
machine has the old hostname, so I tested things only locally, but it
looks they work ... the administration web interface runs under a
temporary CNAME, and I was able to add a local user to a test list and
send a message to it).

The new distro has a README.SUSE file which looks unchanged since last
time (and possibly has a problem with the gid's).

So this is the procedure:

(1) make sure /etc/sudoers on the new system contains the commands
     present on the old system

(2) copy the entire /var/lib/mailman to the new system. This should
     contain the lists, archives, aliases and everything.
     (since rsync does not copy all files, a tar "preserving permissions
     and dates" was used for a few files)

(3) make a2enflag MAILMAN to configure the new apache web server (it has
     already all necessary stuff as of old)

(4) in sendmail.cf make sure to have the line
     O AliasFile=/etc/mail/aliases,/etc/mail/mailman.aliases

(5) copy the old script /usr/sbin/mailman.aliases (this is a two-liner
     /bin/cp /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases   /etc/mail/mailman.aliases
     /usr/bin/newaliases

(6) copy the old local customization at end of mm_cfg.py, in
     particularly the three lines used to fake the MTA to be postfix while
     it is sendmail, and using the above script for aliases (delivery is
     SMTP direct)

(7) in /etc/sysconfig/mailman set MAILMAN_MAIL_GID="daemon"

     Now according to the old procedure at this step one should issue
     command SuSEconfig -module mailman but this seems not to be working.

     So it is NECESSARY to edit manually file /etc/mailman/mailman.mail.gid
     and insert there "2" (the gid of daemon)

     FAILURE TO DO THIS GENERATES THE GID MISMATCH ERROR MENTIONED ABOVE

(8) (re)start apache, sendmail and mailman