[Mailman-Users] Translation (Localization) of mail addresses?

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Thu Dec 6 12:24:11 EST 2018

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, Jim Ziobro wrote:

> Are there any plans to support changing of mail interface addresses for
> other languages?

> ??('admin', 'bounces', 'confirm', 'join', 'leave', 'owner', 'request',
> 'subscribe', 'unsubscribe'):
> ??Should the Italian mail extensions be something like:
> ?????????????? gestire rimbalzi confermare aderire partire proprietario
> richiesta sottoscrivi annulla?

As a native italian speaker (who however virtually always uses the English
interface in the *GUI* of mailman and any other tool) I would regard as
highly inconvenient any localization of *service address suffixes*).

- First of all admins may be used to the English-like form and would
   be annoyed to use a different form for different mailing lists

- Secondly it would be like translating commands in a programming
   language ...  GO TO -> VAI A (Fortran), if -> se (almost all languages),
   open -> apri (C and other languages) ... nobody does that seriously
   but for fun !

- Finally, in lack of an agreed standard, since Italian is a much more
   complicated language for what concerns verbal forms, one will have
   to choose the tense (infinitive, imperative or indicative) and the
   person (2nd singular, 2nd plural or 3rd courtesy form),
   Just crazy.