[Mailman-Users] Mailman+Exim in Ubuntu

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Dec 15 12:13:27 EST 2018

On 12/15/18 1:35 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> # User and group for Mailman, should match your --with-mail-gid
> # switch to Mailman's configure script.  Value is normally "mailman"
> MM_UID=list
> MM_GID=list
>
> Now, posts cannot be delivered because:
> 2018-12-15 00:00:58 1gXuEg-0006Hn-2J ** testing at lists.my.co.ke <
> testing-bounces at lists.my.co.ke> R=mailman_router T=mailman_transport: Child
> process of mailman_transport transport returned 2 from command:
> /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman

Status = 2 is a group mismatch error as you apparently discovered.

> After consulting Google, I got advised to run a test:
>
> root at lists:/home/wash# /var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper post
> Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
> wrapper script to be executed as group "daemon", but
> the system's mail server executed the mail script as
> group "root".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
> script as group "daemon", or re-run configure,
> providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=root'

This test is irrelevant. It would be expected to produce a group
mismatch because you are running the wrapper as root:root and not as the
user:group that Exim runs it as.

Also, even in Debian/Ubuntu, the wrapper is normally named
mailman/mail/mailman, not mailman/mail/wrapper, so I'm not sure what's
going on here.

As far as how to fix it, this is really a Debian/Ubuntu question. See
<https://wiki.list.org/x/12812344>.

That said, there are a couple of things going on here:

It appears from your above test that the expected group is 'daemon'.
This is strange as in Debian/Ubuntu , it is normally 'list' which is why
in your Exim config you have MM_GID=list. You could try MM_GID=daemon to
fix this.

The Debian/Ubuntu package has patches to avoid the group mismatch test
if the real gid of the caller is < 100 or = 65534.

My recomendation, especially if you want help from this list is to junk
the Ubuntu package and install from source.