[Mailman-Users] Mailman would not start after upgrade to 2.1.26

Amardeo Sarma sarma at gwup.org
Mon Feb 12 15:34:02 EST 2018

Hi,

After upgrading to Mailman 2.1.26 via ports in FreeBSD 11.1 and a reboot of the server, I just could not start Mailman at all. It would not indicate any error. The Mailman logs here: /usr/local/mailman/logs did not record anything.

On second looks, I found that, after the upgrade, the write permissions for all logs under /usr/local/mailman/ logs had been removed. All log files had only read permissions for user and group. After adding write permissions (chmod 660 *) to all log files, I could restart Mailman again, and everything works again.

I am not sure this has happened before but just wanted to send this note to the list for the record just in case it is a problem no one had before. And I am sorry if I am reporting a solution to a well-known problem.

Does anyone have an idea what could have changed the write permissions for the logs during an upgrade? I use portmaster under FreeBSD.

Cheers,
Amardeo
P.S.: I was subscribed before and have resubscribed now.
--
Amardeo Sarma
sarma at gwup.org
@amardeo