[Mailman-Users] Mailman would not start after upgrade to 2.1.26

Amardeo Sarma sarma at gwup.org
Sun Feb 25 06:02:40 EST 2018

Hi All,

I would like to report that I have resolved the problem. It was a problem I introduced, not the ports package, showing what unintended side effects some server changes cause.

I had introduced a new log rotation scheme using newsyslog in FreeBSD at around the same time I did the upgrade. This included, as an example, the following lines:
# logfilename                           [owner:group]   mode count      size when       flags   [/pid_file] [sig_num]
/usr/local/mailman/logs/bounce          mailman:mailman 400  5          *    $W2D1      X       /usr/local/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid
/usr/local/mailman/logs/error           mailman:mailman 400  5          *    $W1D1      X       /usr/local/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid
/usr/local/mailman/logs/locks           mailman:mailman 400  5          *    $W1D1      X       /usr/local/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid
[..]

The mode 400, applied on the first Tuesday morning to all mailman logs, also made all the log files unwritable for mailman. Mailman stopped, probably with the next attempt to write a log, and would not start again. I have now changed the mode to 660, which has fixed the problem. A manual chmod for all log files was the immediate fix.

Amardeo
--
Amardeo Sarma @amardeo
sarma at gwup.org