[Mailman-Users] local recipient table

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 5 15:53:52 EST 2018

On 01/05/2018 02:38 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:

> not what mailman does with the SMTPHost, and that is my point.  It
> should be documented clearer (or fixed?).

I think MX record is documented fairly clearly on e.g. wikipedia. The
rest of it spelled out in Defaults.py in my installation:

- "delivery module for *outgoing* mail" (emphasis mine: "outgoing" means
MX doesn't apply), and

- "make sure the host exists and is resolvable".

Presumably mailman is not doing anything fancier than
 import socket
 socket.gethostbyname()
and your non-fqdn SMTPHost will not resolve if you try the above in
python shell.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin