[Mailman-Users] New Problems with AOL & DMARC

Fri Jan 5 23:09:49 EST 2018

On 1/5/18 10:55 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 01/05/2018 07:31 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
>> I use Mailman versioon 2.1.25 on a shared host, and in the past couple
>> of days, something seems to have changed, as posts from AOL users are no
>> longer getting their from address munged like they were a week ago, and
>> I am getting massive bounces for DMARC rejection when a poster from AOL
>> posts.
>>
>> Has something changed with their settings, and is their anything I can
>> do about it?
> $ dig txt _dmarc.aol.com
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> _dmarc.aol.com.		3600	IN	TXT	"v=DMARC1; p=reject; pct=100;
> rua=mailto:d at rua.agari.com; ruf=mailto:d at ruf.agari.com;"
>
> So, they are still publishing p=reject, and in any case if their policy
> changed so dmarc_moderation_action wasn't being applied, the mail
> wouldn't bounce for DMARC either.
>

> First, ensure that the list's Privacy options... -> Sender filters ->
> dmarc_moderation_action is Mung From.
>
> Assuming it is, if you have access to Mailman's logs, check the 'error'
> log for messages like 'DNS lookup for dmarc_moderation_action for list
> <listname> not available' which means that
>
> import dns.resolver
> from dns.exception import DNSException
>
> (from the dnspython package) failed. Also look for messages containing
> DNSException or DMARC.
>
> Check the 'vette' log for messages like
>
> '<listname>: DMARC lookup for user at aol.com (_dmarc.yahoo.com) found
> p=reject in _dmarc.yahoo.com. = v=DMARC1; p=reject; pct=100;
> rua=mailto:dmarc_y_rua at yahoo.com;'
>
> which would indicate that the lookups are being done.

Just a user on a shared host, so no access to logs or the like, thought
I would check here before raising issue with Host in case it was a know
issue.

Haven't touched these settings in a long time:

dmarc_moderation_action is Munge From, which had been working just a few
days ago, and stopped.

Sounds like its off to the host provider and see if they did something
recently.

--
Richard Damon