[Mailman-Users] Sample of an Uncaught bounce notification

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Jan 12 13:16:46 EST 2018

On 01/12/2018 08:43 AM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Is this live sample of an Uncaught bounce notification useful to
> forward to developers to extend pattern matching.
>
> http://berklix.com/~jhs/tmp/mailman/uncaught_bounce_notification/1

I highly doubt it.

The bounce that is in the email you linked to looks to be more an
auto-reply than an actual bounce.

The message that Mailman is considering to be an uncaught bounce does
not have any of the typical hallmarks of any DSNs or MDNs that I've seen.

  - It is a single text/plain, not the expected multipart/report.
  - It is auto-replied (vacation), not auto-generated (failure).
  - It looks like a message that a human wrote (in two languages.)
  - It has an In-Reply-To header, which I've never seen in DSNs.

My opinion is that this is the exact type of use case for a bounce
message to be escalated to a human.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die