[Mailman-Users] too many recipients

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jan 21 13:18:56 EST 2018

On 01/21/2018 09:48 AM, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

> I'm using mailman 2.x with postfix with much trouble. Recently I started
> seeing a lot of errors like this:
>
> delivery to xxx failed with code 452: 4.5.3 Error: too many recipients
>

> I do have both mailman and postfix configured for max recipients of 10, so
> I don't understand why there would still be complaints.

Do you mean you have set SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 10 in mm_cfg.py. That would
limit the maximum number of recipients in one SMTP transaction from
Mailman to Postfix to 10. Other settings such as VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL
could reduce that further, but it would never be more.

This doesn't seem to be a Mailman issue, but if I were trying to
diagnose it, I'd look at all the Postfix log entries for such a message,
and I'd also determine if this is a single domain returning this error
or multiple different domains and since it is a 4xx error it should be
retried, and what happens on retry?