[Mailman-Users] Users set to digest, but still getting non-digest?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 29 14:43:02 EST 2018

On 01/29/2018 10:50 AM, Carl Zwanzig wrote:
> On 1/29/2018 8:33 AM, Andrew White, PhD wrote:
>>     Searched the archives, but I'm hitting a wall. I have users who are set to
>>     digest (when I look at their profile I can see that they are), but still
>>     are getting individual list emails, and not getting digest at all. Any
>>     hints on places to look to problem solve this
>
> A common problem is two list entries for one mailbox (i.e.
> fred at domain.com and fred at dept.domain.com or sally.fullname at domain.com
> and sally at domain.com). Is there only one list membership for this user?
> (Could be that you're setting one but the another is what they receive.)

Carl's suggestion seems likely, but there may be other things going on.

It's also possible the someone at example.com is subscribed and mail to
that address gets forwarded to other at example.net so that the address
being sent the individual messages doesn't resemble the address set to
digest.

The first question is whether any digest members actually receive
digests. If not, possibly the list's Digest options -> digestable
setting is No or digest_send_periodic is No and the threshold size
hasn't been reached or cron/senddigests isn't being run.

Also digest members can receive SOME individual messages when they post
and others reply-all to their posts.

However, there should be no way that a member address set to receive
digests will receive individual messages from the list.

If the list is personalized (Non-digest options -> personalize = Yes),
you can add something like

You are subscribed as %(user_delivered_to)s

to msg_footer to see exactly what member is being sent the message.