[Mailman-Users] Reply-to options not working

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jan 30 21:42:07 EST 2018

On 01/30/2018 05:53 PM, Jordan Brown wrote:
> [ Feh.  My biggest MUA<->ML nuisance is that I don't have a way to force
> replies to use the custom From address that I use for that mailing list.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the address that address that
direct replies go to.

My solution is to use a custom From: address (and occasionally to
manually set the Reply-To: address) according to where I want the
message (reply) to go to.

Yes, I use MANY different email addresses for this and similar reasons.

> Grant, sorry for the dup. ]

I understand why.  I don't hold my preference against you or others.

> If your Mailman is configured so:
>

> (that is, first_strip_reply_to=No, reply_goes_to_list=This List)
>
> Then if user A sends a message to the list without a Reply-To, replies
> will go to the list, but if user B sends a message to the list with

Okay.  I think I'm starting to see the problem that you're alluding to.

It's not so much that people set a Reply-To: in their MUA in and of
itself.  It's the interaction of their settings in relation to MLMs
configured like above.

I don't recall Mailman's behavior for reply_goes_to_list=This List to
say for sure, but I would think that without first_strip_reply_to that
Mailman would add the list as an additional Reply-To.  Thus replies
would go to the value of Reply-To /and/ to the list.

> Some people would regard it as a problem that the replies to user B
> aren't directed towards the list.

I agree for discussion lists.

> As you say, setting Reply-To to the same as From should have no effect,
> but that's not the case in this configuration.  (Nor is it the case for
> Stephen's proposed "smart single reply", at the MUA end; in his proposal
> an explicit Reply-To beats List-Post beats From.)
>
> (I would regard it as a problem that replies to user A *are* directed
> toward the list, but we're not talking about my preferences here; I'm
> just trying to explain why some people have a problem with a message
> that has Reply-To the same as From.)

ACK

Thank you for the explanation.

--