[Mailman-Users] non-subscribers getting through--email address in "Real Name"

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jul 24 23:56:26 EDT 2018

On 07/24/2018 08:41 PM, John Levine wrote:
> Quite right.  Beyond the standards theology, there is the practical
> problem that where the message list in your inbox used to tell you who
> wrote the list messages, now it all seems to come from the list alias.

That's where the human friendly portion of the From: header comes into play.

I.e.

      From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net>

Becomes:

      From: Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users <mailman-users at python.org>

This can show up in the index of a mailbox.

Or the two lines that I'm suggesting prefixing the body with.

      Grant Taylor <gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net> wrote the following:

Granted, that doesn't show up in the index of a mailbox.

Both methods tell you who wrote the message content.

Do you have any doubt about who wrote the first four lines of this
message?  Does the fact that the From: header has my name (via
Mailman-Users) cause you to believe that I wrote "Quite right.  … list
alias."?

Or does the fact that there is quoting "> " change that?

> In my world, some people's contributions are a lot more interesting
> than others,

Agreed.

> and losing the info about who wrote what makes all lists less useful.

I'm not suggesting losing information about who wrote what.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die