[Mailman-Users] Upgradeability of 2.1.* releases?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 6 12:22:42 EDT 2018

On 06/06/2018 07:54 AM, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Where could I find how smooth is the upgrade between different
> 2.1.* releases? Are there any tools for the conversion of the
> configuration, if it is not completely automagical?

You could read the UPGRADING document in the source distribution.

To upgrade any 2.1.5+ release to  the latest release is very
straightforward except 2.1.18+ requires that you have the Python
dnspython package. This is discussed in the "UPGRADING FROM 2.1.5+ to
2.1.18+" section of the UPGRADING document.

When 'make install' detects a version change, it runs
Mailman/versions.py which does any necessary conversions.

> Any advice?

Just do it. Unpack the current Mailman 2.1.26 release (or wait for
2.1.27 which is coming soon, or grab the branch from
<https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1> which is what's
running on the @python.org lists), run 'configure' with the same options
as you used on the current install and then 'make install'.

Also note that every time a list is instantiated, its data_version is
checked against that of the installation and if it is older, it is
automatically upgraded.